Lead Front-End Engineer
Engineers at Friday are committed and passionate technology enthusiasts. We focus on the heavy lifting of application architecture, data modelling, application logic, data services and REST APIs, both in the browser and on the server. Our engineers have deep specialist skills in one or two parts of the stack (from prototyping and front end, to backend, infrastructure and QA), however, we encourage a full-stack attitude: an understanding of the whole project lifecycle and an ability to navigate, communicate and practice at opposite ends of the stack.
We pride ourselves on our strong engineering practice; from open sourcing our own tools and practices, adopting collaborative and empowering methods such as TDD, BDD and Specification by Example, establishing a QA and DevOps culture within all teams, embracing mobile-first responsive design by default and striving for a culture of continuous learning.
What you’ll do
As a Lead Front End Engineer you will work in a dynamic, agile environment to conceive, describe and craft beautifully useful digital services alongside and as part of a wider multi-disciplinary team. You will work on high profile projects, building responsive and performant UI and client side applications and services. You'll gain exposure to the full stack utilising continuous delivery processes and a broad range of technologies to deliver high-quality, maintainable and customer focused experiences across a range of devices.
Everyone at Friday is client facing, so when you're not writing code you will be assisting with pitches, participating in Specification by Example workshops, or doing feature demonstrations. Everyone is encouraged to innovate and share knowledge with the wider company.
Overview of responsibilities
- Understand project requirements, and co-develop through Specification By Example, estimation and planning, clear and testable requirements and prioritised work effort.
- Adopt and evolve our in-house development standards and processes, to always ensure our front end code is clear, maintainable and performant.
- Collaborate closely with our design team to design and prototype in browser.
- Develop living styleguides, pattern libraries and reusable UI components.
- Work closely with our QA team to ensure unit tests, accessibility tests and automation workflows are rigorous and work end-to-end.
- Present feature demonstrations to our clients and the wider company.
- Research, evaluate and share new technologies, methods and techniques.
- Deep proficiency in writing scalable, modular and responsive CSS (Sass, BEM).
- A good understanding of accessibility rules and guidelines, and how to test for compliance.
- A good working knowledge of git, branching and Continuous Integration.
- A good understanding of the web stack including HTTP/S, REST APIs and performance.
- Confidence in your ability to solve problems, troubleshoot and debug in both development and production environments.
- The ability to break requirements down into features and tasks and provide reasonable estimates for delivery.
- The ability to lead and directly manage other front-end engineers.
The big plus
- A demonstrable eye for good UI and UX.
- Experience of frameworks such as Ruby on Rails or ASP.NET MVC.
- Experience of agile working methods such as Scrum and Kanban.
- Integration with content management systems (any platform).
- An active member of the front end engineering community.
Our ideal candidate for this role is someone who is:
- Delightfully non-ego driven.
- Full of energy and passion for what they do.
- Confident and generous in sharing their own specialist knowledge, ideas and solutions.
- Able to make good decisions by applying both reason and intuition.
- Pragmatic and knows when the code is "good enough" to ship.
- Constantly learning, teaching (not preaching!) and challenging their own thinking.
- Able to make others better by consciously teaching and unconsciously inspiring.
- Well organised with a strong work ethic.
- An exceptional communicator who can work with clients and internal teams at all levels.
- Passionate about code, and willing to get their hands dirty.
- Collaborative, friendly, "hunchy" with bags of initiative.
Reporting to Nick, Technical Director, this is a permanent, full-time job in our Clerkenwell office. Salary is competitive, depending on experience
If you think you’re someone we’re looking for, please send us an email. Send us your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting reference LEADFRONT in your subject.