Front-End Engineer - - CSS3/HTML5, bootstrap
Start Date: Immediate
Location: Old Street
Type: Full time, Permanent
We couldn’t be more excited to write this job spec. That’s because it’s a once-in-a-lifetime chance to get in at the ground level of a well-funded, sharing economy start-up. It’s an opportunity to become a lead architect of what we hope will become one of the world’s most iconic brands (humble ambitions, we know). If that sounds exciting, read on…
The Plum Guide is building an online marketplace of the world’s best holiday homes. Period. You can think of us as the Michelin Guide of the sharing economy.
We handpick the top 1% of holiday homes, using a mix of algorithms and physical visits by hospitality experts.
Customers love it because we remove the hit and miss nature of Airbnb, HomeAway, and the like. Hosts love it because we recognize their craftsmanship with a badge that drives incremental bookings. Our ambition is to revolutionise the travel market and sharing economy at large.
In a little over six months since www.plumguide.com launched we have:
• Reviewed 30,000 homes and accepted the 300 most exceptional ones into the collection
• Taken £500,000 worth of bookings, averaging 30% month-on-month growth
• Recently closed our seed funding round from an all-star cast including Local Globe (TransferWise, Songkick, and Citymapper), Alex Chesterman (Founder of Zoopla), William Reeve (Founder of Love Film), Alex Saint and Troy Collins (Founders of Secret Escapes), Jason Goodman (Founder of Albion) and many more (a.k.a., we’re ready to grow)
In our view most digital products work well or look good. It seems like never both and it’s our ambition to change that. We are building a business that brings world leading technical excellence alongside incredible visual creatives and brand builders to be globally successful.
Today, we are far from that. But this is what we hope you will help us achieve.
WHAT YOU’LL BE UP TO
Us being a start-up, means you will be joining a best in class tech team of 4. Which in turn means you will be able to make huge waves from day one. Every line of code you write will make a difference.
We already have a custom booking platform that provides a stepping stone, but what you see today is just a prototype. There is so much more we need to build and so much we need to improve.
We are excited to share our vision for the product with you, face to face, so you can better envisage what you will be up to and the kinds of technical challenges you will be solving.
For now, to give you a sense, here are the kinds of things you can expect to be doing
- Building pixel perfect front end that works flawlessly on browsers/devices.
- Craft great experiences for users with macro and micro interactions.
- Contributing to the landscape of technology that will take our platform to the next level.
- Working across the stack to scope out new tech and build new features and apps. Our product team is full of amazing ideas.
- We are looking forward to leverage Angular / React in our builds.
- Browser testing and deployments.
- Identify and communicate front-end best practices.
- Create coding standards and methodologies.
- Owning the invention, UX design and implementation of completely new features.
- Leading an “always on” program of iteration and innovation for our customer experience.
- Inspiring the team with new ideas and solutions.
- Over the year our team will grow and you will play a key role mentoring other developers, leading best practices, code reviews and shaping the stack.
- And generally writing awesome code!
Our platform is the most important thing we do as a business. As such, we are looking to meet outstandingly brilliant characters with unreasonably high standards.
If we could wave a magic wand and hire our dream person for this role, you would:
- Have 3+ years of work experience at agencies, start-ups or software companies.
- Be scarily ambitious and with an unreasonably high standard for what is good enough.
- Super hard working and intimidatingly clever.
- Possess a hacker’s wit and speed but be pragmatic to think about the long term.
- You love code, languages and idiosyncrasies of the dev world.
- You will be a conscious developer who thinks outside your IDE and applies your problem skills from debugging to business issues.
- Strong design sensibility is required.
- Be product focused and know what we deliver affects end users.
- You have an intense interest in usability, great experience and user psychology.
- You are able to convert this interest into innovative ideas and enhancements.
- Your attention to detail is phenomenal.
- You are not interested in building something good. Only in building something mind-blowingly amazing.
- You enjoy learning, are interested in emerging tech and frequent sites like Hacker News and Coding Horror.
- You need to be proactive, self-motivated and prepared for start-up life.
- You will be autonomous and self-managing when needed.
- You will be a dedicated team player; we’ve got your back so make sure you have ours.
YOUR TECH SKILLS
- CSS3/HTML5, bootstrap, modern responsive design techniques
- Working knowledge of browsers, devices, widths and break points
- Git, Grunt, Node, Gulp, LESS
- Not essential but nice to have: Angular / React
- Awareness of cross-browser compatibility issues and client-side performance considerations
- Expertise in Photoshop/Sketch
- Sublime text, Visual Studio Code
- Not essential but nice to have: Testing frameworks
- Be part of a close knit and growing tech team that are going places.
- Learning, learning and learning! Over the next months and years you will have worked on a variety of development tasks that pushed boundaries.
- You will be influencing a platform that will be a game changer.
- You inevitably be one of the most sought after developers in London.
- Own stuff. A lot of stuff. You will have tons of responsibility and own your “projects”
- Be the eighth team member of what we think will be one of the most famous start-ups of the next 10 years.
- Competitive salary. (depending on skill set and responsibilities)
- Option scheme: Our ambitions are huge and we hope it pays out for all.
- Work daily alongside an incredibly talented team, who have already build and sold a successful products and businesses.
- Be part of a transparent and open culture.
- Work on a stack that you can call your own.
If this fills you with excitement, send your CV and a covering email or letter to tell us why you’re interested in being our Software Engineer. And, if you feel you are too senior or too junior for this role, but got super excited when reading the brief, please get in touch - email@example.com
We’re looking to fill this position immediately, so the sooner the better. Good luck!