in Berlin, Germany
What We're Looking For
You'll fit in perfectly to our team if:
- You not only love coding, but also take the time to reflect on the benefits and drawbacks of your tools, be they frameworks, languages, or processes.
- You strive for clean code, but also know how to make your "shortcuts" easy to delete in a crunch.
- You know what to test, why to test it, and how to write flexible tests that won't break with minor changes.
- You have experience with or interest in Functional Programming techniques.
- You know how to make pragmatic programming decisions in a complex codebase.
- You care about user interaction, usability, and of course – making the interface beautiful.
- In general, technology excites you and you strive to learn something on a daily basis!
- At least 2 (ideally more) years of experience working on fast-paced web applications
- Experience building a non-trivial Single Page Application (SPA) (Angular or React preferable)
- Ability to debug your problems in the context of the full technical stack (or willingness to learn)
- Linux basics (git, ssh, editing a file on a remote server, etc.)
- Experience implementing responsive designs according to pixel-precise design specs
- Ability to communicate fluently about technical topics in English
More reasons to work at SumUp!
- Dedicated budget for education and attending conferences.
- Weekly Lunch and Learn session, where the local dev team exchanges technical ideas over company-sponsored lunch.
- Stay creative! Spend your Friday afternoons hacking on a side project of your choosing.
- We do at least one off-site every year, where the tech teams from Berlin, Sofia, and São Paulo gather to hack together. In the past we've gone to Bulgaria and Greece.
- Our lean processes allow us to ship new features and functionality on a weekly basis.
- Infrequent regular meetings – most days you'll do a standup and get to work.
- We have a close, welcoming, and international community; we get together regularly for brunches, cocktail nights, football, yoga, and office parties.
- All the startup swag you expect: kicker table, beer in the fridge, and a shiny MacBook Pro.
We are the leading mobile point-of-sale (mPOS) company in Europe, with major offices in Berlin, Sofia, and São Paulo. We started out five years ago and built our payment service from scratch to shake up the industry and wake up the entrepreneur within everyone. We created a unique device that pairs with the smartphone in your pocket, allowing small merchants to accept card payments anywhere.
Beyond our original hardware, mobile and web apps, we have gone on to develop a suite of APIs and SDKs for integrating SumUp payments into other apps and services. We recently launched a brand new contactless device, which makes paying by card easier than ever before!
Today, hundreds of thousands of small businesses in 16 countries around the world rely on SumUp to get paid. But we won’t stop there. By the end of the year SumUp will expand into 16 more markets! If you think you've got what it takes to disrupt the payments industry — join us.
We're looking forward to meeting our next teammate! You'll be asked to provide the following information when you apply:
Why you think you'd be a good fit for this position
Share a recent coding challenge you encountered, how you solved it, and what you learned
You can also choose whether to include a CV, a link to your Xing/LinkedIn, a link to your github, tech blog, or portfolio – whatever you think will give us the complete picture!