- 5+ years of experience working professionally with web development.
- You write semantic and accessible HTML5.
- You know the latest CSS features and how to use them to build reusable, independent components.
- You love to learn and push your skills to new levels.
- You know Git basics, and you're familiar with GitHub and/or Bitbucket.
- You have an understanding of basic programming patterns and principles as well as a strong sense of good engineering and architecture.
- You want to help build a rock-solid and perfectly architected and documented front-end codebase.
- You are truly ambitious, result-oriented, friendly, and you like to continually improve.
- You are self-motivated and love to see tangible results.
- You speak and write acceptable English – not perfect English, just acceptable – since you will be working with people from Turkey, England, Denmark, Russia and Brazil, among others.
Bonus Skill Set
- You are an open source contributor.
- Experience with React and/or Vue JS frameworks.
- Experience with creating PWA.
- Experience with Gulp, Webpack and module loaders (ES6/AMD/CommonJS).
- Experience with backend programming languages/technologies (PHP, Python, Java, .Net, JS (Node.js)).
- Experience with working remotely.
Why you’ll want to join us:
- You get to work in an international team of seniors where we truly and deeply care about great architecture, great code, great documentation, great tests, etc. You will work with us, learn from us and teach us.
- We love our product and thus there are no boundaries for perfection of our codebase: we have zero tolerance for spaghetti code and technical debt, we have regular code review sessions, regular refactoring sprints and we use the best tools to do it.
- We use modern CSS stack: BEM-based ITCSS as our CSS methodology for modular, reusable, component-based code and a CSS pre-processor.
- We support modern evergreen browsers only and ... IE11 (we use a graceful degradation technique for it). So you can use the latest JS and CSS features.
- You will have uninterrupted concentration time every day to build pure front-end awesomeness and thus accelerate your learning curve. If you were to work at Facebook or Google, you would be constantly interrupted and only have 2 hours of uninterrupted “flow time” per day. That creates a slow learning curve. Working with us, you get a full 7 hours per day. Imagine what that will do to your mental muscles, to your learning and to your career.
- You will help shape the future of design education which millions of people can benefit from.
- You will have the ability to work from anywhere — as long as your internet connection allows you to have video-based contact with your colleagues every day.
- You get to meet up with the rest of the team several times a year at interesting destinations like a scenic Thai island, Dubai, Denmark, or the like. See the video about our company culture for more.
- We have a focus on evergreen programming techniques and best practices, as opposed to the latest hyped framework. We’d rather hand-craft things ourselves than build our platform on a gazillion 3rd party libraries. Just ask Facebook: they know it sucks.
- Our CEO is a programmer and you will therefore not have to worry about “management speak” in order to get your point across. Just let your awesome code “speak for itself” and you will earn respect immediately!
What you will be doing:
- You will take ownership and leadership of an ever-growing front-end codebase where elegance and simplicity must be maintained and furthered – and where the evil forces entropy, bloat, and spaghetti must be fought back by your intellect and coding skills.
- Creating new components (CSS + JS), refactor existing ones, improve our style guide, build new pages using existing components.
- Building upon our current front end style guide and coding guides, which let our back end developers use front end components with ease. You will build a “design system” that is extremely detailed yet also easy to navigate and use.... much like https://polaris.shopify.com/.
- Helping us to build an online course that will teach millions of designers how to become front-end developers. This will hugely improve your skills and ability to communicate - and will prove to be an awesome challenge!
- Creating animations that are not only beautiful, but meaningful and are features that add to the UX of our users.
- Marking our application faster and lighter.
About our company
The Interaction Design Foundation is the world's most prestigious community and course platform for user experience designers. We are a nonprofit organization with a mission to reduce the cost of design education around the world, and we do so by providing high-quality online UX design courses at an affordable membership fee. With tens of thousands of members learning from our courses, and hundreds of thousands reading our free educational materials, we’re one of the largest UX design communities around the world.
We've spent the last 15 years building our community, and the last year rebuilding our course platform—based on a brilliant technology stack. And now we want you to help us build pure awesomeness in versions 7, 8, 9, etc.! If you're a senior front-end developer with sublime programming skills acquired from 5+ years of experience, we’d like to work with you.
This is a paid full-time position. You'll be location independent and will therefore be free to work from wherever you want in the world. You will have daily video-based contact with your colleagues and will get to meet them physically on team trips (see below).
About our work culture
Please also see our page explaining our work culture in more detail before you apply: https://www.interaction-design.org/careers
Want to join our team? Here is how!
Please send an email to Rikke Friis Dam at firstname.lastname@example.org where you:
- Tell us why you want to put your heart, mind and hard work into this job.
- Tell us the 3 productivity tips/methods that work best for you.
- Make sure your application reflects your perfectionism.
Apply as soon as you can – we’re firm believers of “the sooner, the better”. We’re looking forward to working with you!