Principal Front-End Engineer
in Boston, MA
What we are looking for
Location: flexible (Boston preferred)
Position is available: Immediately
We are seeking a full-time principal front-end engineer to join our engineering team and help build products that support achievement network’s (anet’s) mission. The ideal candidate will be passionate about cutting-edge front-end development technologies and best practices, excited by technical challenges, and motivated to deliver software that impacts educational success. Reporting to the director of engineering, this person will play a key role in crafting and implementing a front-end technology vision for the organization.
Anet is flexible to remote working with appropriate experience and a history of successfully collaborating with and mentoring other developers remotely. Occasional travel to anet’s national office in Boston will be necessary, so proximity to the new England area and eastern time zone is preferable.
What you’ll do
● partner with talented engineers to lead and define our next generation front-end infrastructure and application architecture, including a strategy to migrate existing products to angular 6
● drive, design, and implement front-end infrastructure solutions, such as a shared application shell and integrations with performance profiling, debugging, automated testing, and build systems
● collaborate with peers to quickly develop and deliver updated user-facing applications that are fast, elegant, and easy-to-use
● keep abreast of new technologies and propose adoption as appropriate
● actively embrace best software development practices and set the bar for high quality code
● mentor and support the development of other engineers, providing them with coaching and learning opportunities to help them grow
● proactively look for ways to help improve team culture and velocity
● help deliver anet’s next generation of technology products that support data-driven educational practices and help to close the achievement gap in the underserved communities we partner with
who you are and what you bring
In order to be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
● you have hands-on experience developing and optimizing front-end infrastructure to support
o automated regression test suites
o continuous integration and delivery tools, preferably with dependency-based builds
o a shared css framework and style guide
● you have direct experience designing and implementing high quality web applications using
o performance optimization techniques
o access control patterns
o software-as-a-service (saas) and microservice-based software architectures
● you are a team player who motivates and educates colleagues; you enjoy working in a highly collaborative culture
● you are skilled in working closely with business partners to build technology solutions that meet the usability and functional needs of internal and external users
● you operate comfortably among a highly independent staff with diverse backgrounds
● you bring an innovative approach to analyze, evaluate and solve problems
● you have a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels
● you are motivated by working in an environment where we live out our core values daily and are eager to examine personal archetypes and biases while discussing topics related to race, class, and privilege which relate to anet’s advance equity and people matter values
ideal candidates may also demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
● usability and visual design assessment experience
● basic proficiency using java and/or go
● 10+ years of software development experience
● a bachelor's degree in computer science or related degree
what we offer
anet offers highly competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where anet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; 3 weeks of vacation (4 weeks after two years with anet); 10 paid holidays with paid days off between the Christmas and new year’s holidays; a paid floating holiday; paid sick & personal days; paid parental leave; retirement plan options; commuter benefits; tuition reimbursement; flexible spending accounts; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance.
How to apply
We are now accepting applications for this position, which will be reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please click on the blue “apply” button. You will then be prompted to complete a brief application and upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter in which you outline why you are interested in working for anet and how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position.
Anet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
who we are
Achievement network (anet) is a nonprofit dedicated to educational equity. We help schools boost student learning with great teaching that’s grounded in standards, informed by data, and built on the successful practices of educators around the country. Founded in 2005, anet now serves over 700 schools educating over 230,000 students across the country. Our support has consistently helped our partner schools—both district and charter—achieve breakthrough results for their students.
Anet has received multiple awards and recognitions, most recently receiving the highest ratings (tier 1) on our math and ela formative assessments from the louisiana department of education, the only organization to receive such high marks. We were also named to the nonprofit time’s “best nonprofits to work for” and in the 2018-19 school year will be launching the breakthrough results fund, a four-year collaboration to prove what’s possible in instructional improvement.
Anet is a dynamic, values driven, team-oriented organization that is committed to the growth and development of all staff members. Individuals who join anet have the opportunity to join an exceptional team of colleagues committed to helping schools drive excellent teaching and learning by investing in each other and learning together.